If you're one of the ever-increasing eco-friendly populace, then you're probably looking for ways to control pests inside and outside of your home using methods that don't include pesticides or chemicals. And if you find that you have an ant problem, you'll need to know how to get rid of them without using chemicals. Here are some great natural methods for ridding your home of the pests, using natural products that you probably already have on hand:
- Place a dish of dry Cream of Wheat on your kitchen counter the next time you see ants in the kitchen. Place a small open container in your kitchen cupboards, as well. The ants will eat the cereal and then as it expands inside of them, they will explode.
- Trap ants by building this easy trap. Purchase an inexpensive bottle of maple syrup—the kind of bottle that has a long neck. Pour all of the syrup out of he bottle, expect for about one inch. Place the open bottle where you see ants. The sugary scent will attract the ants, they will crawl inside, but won't be able to crawl back out. They'll eventually drown in the syrup.
- Spray undiluted vinegar all around wherever you see ants. They will not stay around, and the vinegar evaporates, leaving nothing to clean up.
- Several common spices and herbs that are effective in combating ants are cinnamon, black pepper, red pepper, cayenne pepper, cloves, bay leaves, peppermint, and red chili powder. Simply sprinkle any of these substances anywhere you see ants, and they will back off very quickly. Wet any of the ingredients and place them into containers to make them more potent.
- Mint chewing gum repels ants. Place an opened stick of mint chewing gum inside of your kitchen cupboards, behind kitchen countertop canisters, in your bathrooms—anywhere you see ants traveling, and they won't travel there any longer.
- Purchase several dram-sized bottles of peppermint and spearmint flavoring oils. Douse cotton balls with the oils and place them anywhere you see ant activity. Ants hate mint and will leave quickly.
If you have a problem with anthills in your yard, kill them with hot water. Place your teakettle on to boil, and when the water is piping hot, pour the boiling water directly into the anthill. The hot water will kill the ants, and close up the anthill, all in one smooth action.