Preventing Mosquito Infestations
Preventing mosquito infestations is complex and difficult. The main thing that needs to be focused on is eliminating larvae before they mature into adult insects. It needs to be a collective effort and perhaps additional help needs to be enlisted from your local municipality.
The first line of defense is eliminating standing water. Here are some places to start.
- Rain gutters. Clean out rain gutters regularly. Leaves and debris can hold moisture from rain and snow and make a great breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Standing water. Eliminate standing water in places like flat roofs, air conditioning units, and leaky pipes and faucets. It takes extra work to keep these areas clear of standing water, but it will pay off by reducing breeding sites.
- Bird baths and wading pools. Do not allow water in bird baths or wading pools to stand for more than a week. Change the water regularly to keep it fresh and prevent a breeding ground.
- Watering the lawn. Keep a schedule that waters smaller amounts more often. Leaving standing water to pool is just inviting mosquitoes to gather.
- Seepage. Eliminate seepage from cisterns, cesspools and septic tanks. Keeping these areas water free will also cut down on the fly population.
- Screens. Use screens on doors and windows to create a barrier to keep mosquitoes doors. If you have a chimney, use a screen in the spring and summer months to keep the mosquitoes out.
- Caulk. Use caulking to fill in cracks and crevices that are big enough for insects to enter. This will also help protect your home from ants.
- Trash cans. Mosquitoes are attracted to trash, so empty trash cans frequently and keep trash receptacles covered.
- Humidity. Mosquitoes thrive in humid environments. If you live in a humid area, consider using a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity level in the house.
- Repellents. Citronella and lemon-eucalyptus oil are natural repellents for mosquitoes. Burn a candle or hang an oil-saturated towel near window to keep mosquitoes away.
- Traps. If mosquitoes are heavy in your area, considering purchasing mosquito traps. These devices emit light and a scent that attract mosquitoes into the trap. Place them away from the house to draw them away.
There are many small things that can be done to keep your area mosquito free. Take notice of all of the standing water in your area and do your best to eliminate it, this will have the most significant effect on reducing the number of mosquitoes in your area.
Usually, Mormon crickets live their lives without incident. In other words, they go through their life cycle for years ...
Whether you call them lady bugs or lady beetles, you can tell them apart from other insects by their colored, spotted ...
Sometimes confused with lady bugs, carpet beetles differ in that they feed on fibers and carpet of your home, and their ...