One of the most prolific pests, ants are seen my some as a nuisance and annoyance, but by others as a beneficial pest to gardens and plants. But if you've seen ants trailing across your kitchen countertop, then you probably want to find an easy—and safe—way to rid your home of the little critters. Here are some ways to keep ants away naturally, without using chemicals, pesticides, or insecticides harmful to your family and pets:
- Spray them with plain Windex, Formula 409, or Simple Green. Not only will you kill the ants, you'll have a clean house!
- Mix a solution of one part liquid dish soap with 3 parts water and spray anywhere you see ants.
- Combine peanut butter or bacon grease, or sugar with Borax, and place the mixture into a small plastic container—the kind you get at the deli counter. Place the lid on the container and poke holes into it. Clearly mark the container "Ant Killer" and place it behind appliances. Keep children and pets away from the containers.
- Smear a thin layer of peanut butter or honey onto a small strip of aluminum foil, and then dust it with Borax and place it behind light switch plates to catch and kill ants in your walls.
- Cut several garlic cloves in half and place them on windowsills and near doorways to keep ants away. Ants hate garlic.
- Sprinkle windowsills, door thresholds, and garbage cans with cayenne pepper, black pepper, lemon juice, cinnamon, or crushed red pepper. Ants hate those spices and will not come near them.
- Dab a cotton ball with peppermint or spearmint flavoring oil, and apply it to baseboards, kitchen and bathroom backsplashes, windowsills, and anywhere you see ant activity. Since ants hate mints, they will not cross that line of oil.
Keep all food in airtight containers, and clean up food after eating. Don't leave dirty dishes in your kitchen sink. Rinse the food particles away. Sanitize kitchen countertops with ammonia or a spray cleaner. Use general good sanitation within your entire home, making it less hospitable for ants to feel welcome.
An administrator for a mutual fund management firm, April deals with the written word daily. She loves to write and plans to author a memoir in the near future. April attended Morehead State University to pursue a BA degree in Elementary Education. Learn more about April...
Choosing the Best Flower Garden Location
There is more to growing flowers than simply digging holes for seeds or plantings. Choosing the best flower garden ...
Installing Insulated Windows
Decide upon the type of new window you want after taking measurements. You can order windows from a lumberyard or a ...
Which Soil is Best for Plant Growth?
When you test your soil for pH, the kit's package instructions will recommend either adding lime to raise the alkalinity, ...
Repel Ants with White Pepper or Sage
Instead of reaching for that can of bug spray or buying toxic pesticides and insecticides, use two common household ...
Areas Affected by Fire Ants
If you are worried about aggressive pests, then it is a good idea to know about the areas affected by fire ants. Here is ...
Recognizing Carpenter Ants
How do you know if your have a carpenter ant infestation? The next time that you see ants foraging about your home, check ...